Buying a Condo
This checklist is to help my buyers to stay on track, efficiently locate properties, negotiate with confidence, and to work their way through the many documents, disclosures and inspections leading to a successful closing.
The order may change around a bit depending on the properties and the buyers, but in general, these are the things you need to keep in mind and do in getting to the closing table and picking up your keys.
1. If renting is an option, do the rent vs buy calculation and check your financial abilities to cover closing costs, make a substantial down payment, and qualify for a mortgage.
2. Let me help you learn how to efficiently use collaborate feature to search homes to locate the best properties and cull those that don’t meet your requirements.
3. Let me set you up with automated alerts by email to keep you posted on new listings and price reductions.
4. Call or email me with your questions about specific listings.
5. Learn all about what makes condominiums different from detached single family homes.
6. Take notes and photos when you visit properties, as you’re not likely to remember details once you’ve seen several.
7. Go over the condominium documents, finances, disclosures and title documents with me so that you thoroughly understand them and know the rules and how you’ll be able to enjoy your property.
8. Remember that you’re the buyer, and if you don’t bring money and a mortgage to the table the seller doesn’t get to sell and move. Having a backup choice helps you to stand firm in your negotiations.
9. Participate in inspections and post–inspection repair negotiations. I’m there to advise and help, but you’re making the decisions.
10. Attend the closing, get your keys, and enjoy your new home.
I’m your resource for real estate, and I’m your condominium expert! *lease contact me at 416.562.8417 today.